Monday, June 11, 2007

Hog Disease Spreads in China

A contagious hog disease in China that last year killed up to a million pigs, and contributed to rising pork prices, has been blamed on the "Blue Ear" virus. Daniel Schearf reports from Beijing.

China's chief veterinary officer Jia Youling (2006 file photo)
Jia Youling (2006 file photo)
China's top veterinarian Jia Youling told reporters the highly pathogenic disease, "Blue Ear," is to blame for most of the pig deaths last year. The high fever disease is formally known as Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome.

Up to a million pigs died last year from the disease.

Jia says the Blue Ear virus was discovered in the United States in 1987 and has since spread worldwide, posing no threat to humans. But it had mutated in China, making it hard to identify and becoming more deadly to pigs.

"This variation of Blue Ear disease is a completely new variation," said Jia. "It is the first time our country and the world has experienced this kind of the disease."

Chinese health officials are now working on a vaccine to prevent the virus from spreading further.

Jia said their biggest fear is that farmers with sick pigs will try to sell them quickly rather than report the illness. This could cause the disease to spread faster.

Pork prices have already risen dramatically, although Jia said he was not convinced of a direct link between rising prices and the disease.

China's Ministry of Agriculture last week said Blue Ear had already infected nearly 46,000 pigs in the first five months of this year and killed more than 18,000, while spreading to 22 provinces and regions.

The failure to spot and treat the Blue Ear disease outbreak earlier raises new fears about the safety of China's food and drug supply.

The country has had a series of such scandals, including the reported sale of tainted wheat gluten to the United States.

In the past few days, Chinese and foreign media have reported the government has found unsafe dried food, and evidence that some hospitals have used fake blood proteins in intravenous drips to treat patients.

China rejects U.S. products

BEIJING–Turning the tables on the United States amid growing worries over dangerous Chinese products, Beijing said Friday some health supplements and raisins imported from the U.S. failed to meet China's safety standards and have been returned or destroyed.

In Washington, a top U.S. food safety official said the Food and Drug Administration was seeking more information from its Chinese counterparts, including whether they are "bona fide, science-based findings" or in retaliation for U.S. actions.

U.S. inspectors recently have banned or turned away a growing number of Chinese exports, including monkfish containing life-threatening levels of puffer fish toxins, drug-laced frozen eel and juice made with unsafe colour additives. The U.S. FDA has also stopped all imports of Chinese toothpaste to test for a potentially deadly chemical reportedly found in tubes sold in Australia, the Dominican Republic and Panama.

Friday's announcement said Chinese inspectors in the ports of Ningbo and Shenzen found bacteria and sulfur dioxide in products shipped by three American companies.

"The products failed to meet the sanitary standards of China,'' the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said in a notice posted on its website.

No details were given on when or how the inspections were conducted and telephones at the administration's office were not answered Friday.

The companies were identified as K-Max Health Products Co., CMO Distribution Center of America, Inc., and Supervalu International Division.

The agency said K-Max and CMO exported health capsules, including bee pollen and bacteria-fighting supplements. Supervalu exported Sun-Maid Golden Raisins, it said. The shipments from K-Max and Supervalu have been destroyed and CMO's capsules were returned, the notice said.

The FDA's assistant commissioner for food protection, Dr. David Acheson, said U.S. officials were seeking more information.

"Whatever the motives are for this, if it's real, we want to know about it," Acheson said.

"Is it tit-for-tat? We don't know and probably won't ever know. If they found a legitimate problem with a product exported from the United States, we would want to know about it so we can look into it and fix it."

Depending on what the FDA learns, it could follow up with inspections of the companies and its own sampling and testing, Acheson said. Previously, the agency hasn't known of any problems with the companies' products flagged by the Chinese, he added.

Neil Langerman, an officer of the division of chemical health and safety of the American Chemical Society, questioned whether China's seizure was in retaliation for recent U.S. actions against Chinese products.

"There's more to this story than meets the eye. This is political," said Langerman, an officer of the division of chemical health and safety of the American Chemical Society. "I'd see what China is doing as a retaliation to what the U.S. has done.''

The Chinese announcement did not specify which contaminants were found in which products, saying only that they were found in amounts above acceptable levels, without providing details.

"Local quality officials should step up the inspection and quarantine on imported food products from the U.S.," the Chinese notice said. "Chinese importers should also clarify food safety demands in contracts when importing U.S. food products, so as to lower the trade risk.''

Langerman said only a very small percentage of U.S. food shipments have bacterial problems.

"Without seeing data, the claims, while they may in fact be valid, don't have merit," he said. "I as a scientist say, show me your data, not only your data, but how you sampled it. Did you use sterile collection techniques?"

Langerman said sulfur dioxide can be present in raisins, but said companies would not use it at high levels because it adds an eggy odour. "It's also easy to get rid of because it's a gas, so you let it dissipate," he said.

Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, said she didn't know why sulfur dioxide would pose a problem, since it's often used to preserve raisins and other dried fruit. She said raisins would be an unlikely host to bacteria because they are dry.

"This looks like retaliation," she said, noting that the Chinese have complained that American authorities are holding their exports to food-safety standards that were never detailed.

As for the herbal supplements, Nestle said the notice was too vague to know what might be in them, though she noted the Chinese are significant exporters of herbal supplements.

Friday's announcement was the second mention in recent days of China rejecting foreign food imports. Late last month, France's Groupe Danone SA said China seized five containers of Evian water in February because of concern over high bacteria levels.

Those came after concerns spiked over the safety of Chinese food exports following the deaths of cats and dogs in the United States and Canada blamed on tainted pet food ingredients from China.

K-Max president Liei Ye did not immediately respond to a message left with the company Friday seeking comment. K-Max is a subsidiary of Kang Long Group Corp., whose website said the company began by selling Wisconsin-grown ginseng to U.S. health food stores under its K-Max brand, before expanding into China, Russia, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan and other markets. Kang Long has four mainland China offices and a Hong Kong branch in addition to its Pomona, Calif., headquarters, according to the site.

Supervalu International is part of Supervalu Inc., headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minn. The FDA said in 2000 that CMO Distribution Center of America was based in Sarasota, Fla. However, state records showed it was dissolved as a company in Florida in 2003.

China rejects U.S. imports, citing sanitary code

BEIJING - China said Saturday it had rejected a shipment of pistachios from the United States because it contained ants, the latest indication the government may be retaliating as Chinese products are turned back from overseas because of safety concerns.

The state television report, which showed inspectors wearing face masks and sealing the shipping container that held the pistachios, indicated an increasing push to show that other countries also have food safety issues. On Friday, Chinese food safety watchdog announced that shipments of health supplements and raisins from the U.S. had been returned or destroyed because they did not meet quality control standards.

China's food- and drug-safety record has come under scrutiny in recent months following the deaths of cats and dogs in the United States and Canada blamed on tainted Chinese pet food ingredients. Since then, U.S. inspectors have banned or turned away a growing number of Chinese exports — from monkfish to juice to toothpaste — because they contained life-threatening levels of toxins or unsafe chemicals.

Ecological danger cited
In the report Saturday, China Central Television said the ants found in the pistachio shipment could "cause a serious threat to trees and to the ecological environment." Part of the batch, which arrived by ship to the port of Zhongshan, will be destroyed and the rest will be returned, CCTV said, without giving any other details.

The report also showed U.S. safety certificates issued to Cal-Pure Pistachios Inc., based near Bakersfield, Calif. Messages left for the company were not immediately returned Saturday.

Telephone calls to Guangdong quarantine officials rang unanswered on Saturday.

The Web site of the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, China's food safety agency, showed lists of products from 2006 and 2007 that had been turned away from countries including the United States, Canada, Japan, Singapore and Italy because they did not meet Chinese standards.

France's Groupe Danone SA says China seized five containers of Evian water in February because of concern over high bacteria levels.

'Is it tit-for-tat?'
A U.S. Food and Drug Administration official said Friday that the U.S. is seeking more information on the latest cases of American products being turned away.

"Whatever the motives are for this, if it's real, we want to know about it," said David Acheson, assistant commissioner for food protection at the FDA.

An international outcry about has China's safety record has the government worried that its goods could be banned from overseas markets. The country's dismal drug safety record was underscored this week by a Chinese court's decision to sentence to death the country's former top drug regulator.

"Is it tit-for-tat? We don't know and probably won't ever know," Acheson said. "If they found a legitimate problem with a product exported from the United States, we would want to know about it so we can look into it and fix it."

Chinese regulators have urged local authorities to step up inspections of imported food products and said Chinese importers should "clarify food safety demands in contracts when importing U.S. food products, so as to lower the trade risk."

The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

For Tibetan issue, China government's sayings:

<1> Deng Xiaoping
In 1979 Comrade Deng Xiaoping told the private representative of the 14th Dalai Lama in explicit terms: "The fundamental issue lies in the fact that Tibet is part of China. Whether this is correct or wrong may be judged with standards."

<2> Li Peng
On May 19, 1991, when Chinese Premier Li Peng met with China's Xinhua News Agency reporters, he answered their questions on the Tibetan issue and reaffirmed the policy followed by the Central Government. Premier Li pointed out: "We have only one fundamental principle, which is that Tibet is an inalienable part of China. There is no room for bargaining at this issue. The Central Government consistently expressed willingness to contact the 14th Dalai Lama. But the 14th Dalai Lama must stop his activities geared to split the motherland, and give up his stand for `Tibetan independence.' All issues may be discussed except for `Tibetan independence'.''

<3> Li Ruihuan
CPPCC Chairman Li Ruihuan said at the third meeting of the Leading Group for Locating the reincarnated Soul Boy of the Panchen Erdeni no November 10, 1995: "The Central Government has exercised great restraint and done its very best to point out the right path for the Dalai Lama. It has, on many occasions, reiterated that so long as he recognizes Tibet as an integral part of China, completely renounces the claim for `independence of Tibet' and stops activities aimed at splitting the motherland, we shall negotiate with him and welcome him back to the motherland so that he can do something in the interest of the Tibetan people in his remaining years. This policy still holds good today."

<4> Jiang Zemin
In meeting with correspondents with the No.2 German TV Station and the Frankfurt Daily respectively on July 13 and 14, 1996, Chinese President Jiang Zemin answered questions on the Tibetan issue. President Jiang said: "So long as the 14th Dalai Lama can recognize Tibet is an inalienable part of China, thoroughly give up his stand for `Tibetan independence,' and stop his activities to split the motherland, we will welcome him to return to the motherland to do things beneficial for the unification of the motherland and national unity and prosperity."

To know more about it, you should know the history of Dalai Lama of Tibet:
>>>The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet